Sunday, October 11, 2015

Thank You to Those Who Helped Me at Winco (You Know Who You Are)

Let me preface this post by saying that people are awesome! If you don't know that yet, then you either need to change your perspective or meet some new people. Because they truly are.

Winco is my grocery store of choice. I love the low prices which allow me to buy at least twice as many groceries than I would at other stores, they have a great selection, a bulk section, and the majority of groceries aren't bulk like Costco which may be a better value but requires more money up-front. And it's not Walmart. Anything is better than Walmart.

One of the things you trade for such good prices is good customer service. You have to bag your own groceries and take them to your car and asking any employee for help finding something is almost like pulling teeth.

But the help I've received from my fellow customers is worth more to me than all of that.

The first act of service I received happened a couple of years ago. Money has always been tight and my food budget pretty short. When I make my shopping list, I try really hard to estimate it within that budget. But sometimes, it just adds up too quickly. This was one of those times. But it was only like $6.00 over, not a big deal. I put back a couple of snack items that weren't necessary (hummus and pita chips that I had wanted to try). Then the lady behind me said that she would get it. I politely declined, of course, but she insisted. I was so thankful to her! What a thoughtful and selfless thing to do for a complete stranger! I gave her my heartfelt thanks and went on my way (and we all snarfed down that hummus, by the way. Even Brian! So good).

My second act of service came in a different form. Grayson was only a couple of months old, and he was not happy that particular shopping trip. He had had enough of that carseat! As I was walking down the aisle with a screaming baby I was trying to comfort, a preschooler I was trying to keep nearby, and a cartload of groceries almost too heavy to push (I usually shop for two weeks' worth of groceries at a time in order to avoid going to the store as often, so I get a lot of groceries), I was stopped by a really nice lady who wanted to coo at Grayson. She was really sweet and just loved him up! When I told her his name, she was almost moved to tears because that was her nephew's name. It was a really sweet moment, and she helped calm him down. Then we said good-bye and I finished gathering my items.

Then at the checkout, she surprised me again. Since I pile up the cart with so many groceries, it's a little difficult getting them all to fit back in when they're all bagged up. I really have to pile it up then. She must've noticed from her checkout lane because she sent her son to get another cart and they helped me load up the rest of my bags and take them to my car! Oh my gosh! I couldn't believe the thoughtfulness! She just really made my day!

And then a similar thing happened again!

I think it was the very next shopping trip that another lady and her son also grabbed an extra cart and helped me load and carry out my purchases. She also helped me with another grumpy Grayson by rocking him in his carseat until he fell asleep while I loaded my groceries onto the belt.

Wow. I mean, really, wow! It amazes me how people have the energy to even notice a struggling mother with young kids and then take the time to lend her a hand. I usually have my blinders on with my head down and focused on getting everything on my list and out of there as fast as I can before my kids do something to get us kicked out. But these women and their kindness just astounds me.

But wait, it gets better.

Just a couple of months ago, I made a rare trip to Winco in-between my regular trips. I had an even smaller budget to keep to and I thought I only needed a few things. My grocery list looked really short, anyway. But, man, do they add up fast! I looked in my cart while waiting to checkout and thought, This has got to be more than I have to spend. So in preparation of that, I loaded my groceries onto the belt in order of importance from most to least, so if I went over, I could just have the cashier stop and I wouldn't have to search through everything and decide what to put back and what to keep.

Well, it was worse than I thought it would be. There wasn't just a few things that went over but probably at least $30 worth. I felt bad that the cashier had so much to take back (remember their lack of service in this area), but I had to do what I had to do. So I apologized, paid for my groceries, and started bagging them up.

After a while, I noticed that the things I had asked her to put back were on my belt. The lady behind me had paid for all of them! I just couldn't believe it. She did not have to do that, and I told her that. We would've been just fine without those things. But I looked up at her, and she had tears in her eyes, and she gestured at Trey and Grayson as if to say, It's for them. I just want to help you take care of your babies. 

All of these women are so amazing to me, and I believe they were sent to me by our Heavely Father. In times when I felt invisible, exhausted, and overwhelmed, they saw me. It's not so much the money or the acts themselves as it was just that they noticed me and then did something about it. It was like Heavenly Father was saying, I see you, and I love you. You are important to me, and I'm going to see you through this hard time. You and your family are going to be just fine.

It's my prayer that I can repay these kind women by paying it forward to others. By pulling my head up, noticing my surroundings, and doing what I can to help ease the burdens of those around me, and maybe even help a young mother pay for her groceries someday, and be the person who essentially says, Your Heavenly Father sees you, He loves you, and you and your family are going to be okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment