Friday, October 2, 2015

Yo-Ho, Yo-Ho, It's Back to Work I Go

I've been off the work scene for quite a while now. Five years, actually. I mean, I was a Mary Kay consultant for three of those five years, and that was a ton of work, don't get me wrong. But it's not quite the same as a good old-fashioned J-O-B where you show up, clock in, do the work, collect a paycheck, and go home. The last time I had one of those was when I was pregnant with Trey. Then began my real job and what I really wanted to do with my life--be a mom.

And I've enjoyed being a Stay-at-Home/Work-from-Home mom. It's definitely been challenging and I've really struggled with it at times, but I've enjoyed being here with my kids and being their main nuturer.

But some things happened this year that put us off-track of our financial goals, and the only way I could see us getting back on-track was for me to get a part-time job. It was a hard decision for us to make especially since I feel like I've got enough to do here, but I felt like if I could find a job that fit my specific criteria, then we could make it work, and we could reach our financial goals that much quicker.

My new job had to provide these things:

  • Be part-time
  • Work with my hubby's work schedule so that we could avoid daycare or a babysitter, so I either had to work at night 5 days a week or work on Brian's rotating days off twice a week
  • Had to earn a certain amount/receive a certain amount of hours to make it worth it
  • Bonus: it would be in Kimberly or at least this side of Twin to save on gas
To be honest, I didn't think I would find a place that would be willing or able to meet this criteria. My biggest concern was the hours--Brian works four days on, two days off, so his days off rotate week-to-week. For example, let's say he has Friday and Saturday off this week, then next week he'll have Thursday and Friday off, the week after that, Wednesday and Thursday, and so on and so forth. Who in their right minds would hire me based on that crazy work schedule? I didn't hold out much hope for that.

So the next best thing would be to work at night from about 8:00 to midnight a few times a week. The problem with that is that I could think of only a handful of places that are open that late. Walmart was one of them. Brian and I both worked for Walmart during our first year of marriage, and we absolutely hated it. It was almost like working for a cult, the bunch of crazies. I really, really, really didn't want to work for them again. But a mother's gotta do what a mother's gotta do.

So I applied to them along with a few other places. And wouldn't ya know it but Walmart was the first to call me in for an interview. Bleh. I thought I was doomed to put up with a bunch of analistic stupid once more. 

But I didn't hear back from them. Anyone else I would've been calling them, but I wasn't quite that desperate yet since I had had a couple of other interviews as well. Plus I really didn't want to talk to that rude receptionist there (Seriously, have you called the Twin Falls Walmart? You should just to hear how this woman treats you. I don't know what's so difficult about transferring your call, but she must hate doing it because she always makes such a big deal out of it). So I held out and prayed that something else would come up first.

And then it did, but in a bit of an unexpected way.

I had applied to Ridley's here in Kimberly for a cashier position. It had been a couple of weeks and I hadn't heard back from them, but I thought, What the heck? Might as well give them a call. I've got nothing to lose, anyway.

So I called and talked to the manager and, sure enough, the cashier position had been filled. But since I had him on the line, I asked if there was anything else open. A bagger's position. Great, I'd be willing to interview for that. Can you come in on Thursday? You bet!

Bagger is definitely a step down from cashier, but again, a mother's gotta do...well, you know. So I went in for my interview and long story short, he felt that he couldn't work with my schedule for that position. Surprise, surprise.

But the next morning, he called back and said he had a position in the deli that might work for me. What? In the deli? Sweet! I'd much rather do that anyway since I won't have to deal with as many irrate customers (not that I told him that, but I was definitely thinking it.)

So, now I work two days a week frying up chicken and making sandwiches at the deli in Ridley's. They just needed someone part-time so that the two full-time day workers can have a couple of days off a week. It couldn't have been a more perfect situation for all of us. And it's a good job and keeps me busy, which is good. Nothing makes the hours tick by more slowly then having nothing to do. So I like it so far, and it seems to be working for our family as well. Brian gets more time with the kids and I can still nurse Grayson since I'm away from him for only a few hours at a time. And Brian doesn't have to try to put him to bed so he can get enough sleep himself like he would've if I had found a job working nights. So it seems to be good all around.

It was scary, the prospect of going back to work, but I think the Lord really blessed us with this, and I think it's going to work out just fine. I don't know how long I'm going to want to work especially with Trey starting kindergarten next year, but maybe it'll continue to fit into our schedule and lifestyle and I'll be able to keep on with it. We'll see. But I'm very thankful to be able to help provide for our family and still be there with my kids everyday. We really are blessed.

1 comment:

  1. So awesome you found a position that works perfectly for your situation!

    ReplyDelete